Grasses for UK Gardeners: Hardy, easy-care plants that add beauty, attract wildlife, improve soil, and control erosion. Find the perfect grass for your garden at Boma today.
The Beauty and Benefits of Grasses in the UK
Grasses are a versatile and beautiful addition to any garden, and they can be especially stunning in late summer and autumn. In the UK, grasses are particularly well-suited to the climate, and they can be found in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and colours.
Here are some of the benefits of adding grasses to your UK garden:
- They add movement and interest to the garden. The wind can cause grasses to sway and dance, adding a touch of drama and excitement to the garden.
- They provide structure and definition to the garden. Tall grasses can be used to create a focal point or to screen out unsightly views.
- They provide food and shelter for wildlife. Many types of grasses are attractive to birds, butterflies, and other insects.
- They are relatively low-maintenance. Once established, most grasses require little more than occasional watering and deadheading.
How Grasses Change the Landscape in Late Summer and Autumn
In late summer and autumn, the leaves of many types of grass turn yellow, orange, or red, providing a colourful contrast to the green foliage of other plants. The seedheads of some grasses also turn colour in autumn, adding even more interest to the garden.
The movement of grasses in the wind can also add a touch of drama to the garden, especially in the evening when the light is low. For example, a tall clump of miscanthus can provide a dramatic focal point in a garden, while a border of Pennisetum can add a touch of colour and movement.
Grasses at Boma Garden Centre
Boma Garden Centre is a leading supplier of grasses for UK gardens. They have a wide selection of grasses to choose from, including miscanthus, Pennisetum, Stipa, and many more. Boma Garden Centre also offers expert advice on how to choose the right grasses for your garden and how to care for them.
Here are just some of the grasses that are available at Boma Garden Centre:
- Miscanthus: These grasses are known for their tall, airy plumes that can reach up to 10 feet in height. They are available in a variety of colours, including gold, pink, and red.
- Festuca: is another beautiful, low-maintenance, drought-tolerant grass that is perfect for UK gardens. It has narrow, grey-green or steely-blue leaves that form low tufted mounds. Festuca can be planted in a border, rock garden, or container. It is resistant to pests and diseases and can add interest to the garden throughout the year. Festuca comes in a variety of species, including Festuca glauca (blue fescue), Festuca 'Amigold', Festuca rubra (red fescue), and Festuca arundinacea (tall fescue). It is a good choice for gardens in full sun or partial shade.
- Pennisetum: These grasses have feathery leaves and seedheads that can be pink, red, or purple in autumn. They are available in a variety of sizes, from small groundcovers to tall, upright grasses.
- Stipa: These grasses have fine, silvery leaves that provide a delicate touch to the garden. They are available in a variety of colours, including silver, green, and gold.
- Carex: Known for their delicate, feathery leaves and their ability to tolerate a wide range of conditions, Carex are a popular choice for UK gardens because they are low-maintenance and can be used in a variety of settings. Carex is a great option for gardens in full sun or partial shade, and they can be used in borders, rock gardens, or containers.
Astelia: is a beautiful, low-maintenance, drought-tolerant grass that is perfect for UK gardens. It has delicate, feathery leaves that turn a beautiful golden brown in autumn. Astelia is resistant to pests and diseases and can be planted in a flower bed, displayed in a planter on the patio. Overall, Astelia is a versatile and hardy plant that is a valuable addition to any UK garden.
Phormium: As an evergreen perennial grass native to New Zealand, Phormium is known for its tall, sword-like leaves that can be green, blue, or variegated. Phormium species are popular in UK gardens because they are relatively easy to care for and can tolerate a wide range of conditions. They are a good choice for gardens in full sun or partial shade, and they can be used as a focal point in a border or as a specimen plant. However, it is important to note that Phormium species are toxic to humans and animals, so it is important to keep them out of reach of children and pets. They are also a fire hazard, so it is important to plant them in a location where they will not be exposed to flames.
Visit Boma Garden Centre today to see their wide selection of grasses for UK gardens. Our experienced staff can help you choose the perfect grasses for your needs. You can also order grass plants online from their website.
Add some beauty and interest to your UK garden with grass plants from Boma Garden Centre. Visit their website or store today to see their wide selection.